Thursday, May 16, 2013

The unforgettable Experience at the YUGA Leadership Summit


I enjoyed my stay at YUGA Leadership Camp and I think other young people should join us to be inspired as change makers and nation transformers as we go in the community to do service. The YUGA Camp has been one of the best times I have ever had in my life and a momentous time to be with young people from different countries with different cultural backgrounds.
The YUGA Leadership Camp is important to me in the sense that if I hadn’t attended the camp I couldn’t be the man I am today. Camp is an opportunity that the entire family of Plan International gave to me. I attended this inspiring camp that served as a great beacon of light and hope to hundreds of young people in Liberia.
Pewee awaiting to get along with high ropes, in the USA
For the past few years, before getting to go to YUGA, I have been engaged in youth and children activities, like creating awareness and sensitization on the rights of children and advocating for the passage of the National Children’s Law of Liberia that aims at promoting,  protecting, and seeking the best interest of children in Liberia.
Currently I have crafted a project that I intend to implement on youth and children’s empowerment. This project will basically focus on how young people can be empowered and how can they prepare and equip themselves for the future. One of the greatest questions asked by older people is: “How can we prepare young people to take over the nation?” Our answers is: let us be empowered, because empowerment is what makes a person, and with empowerment, advocacy comes and transformation appears.
The project’s goal is to provide equal opportunities for youth and children, and to provide adequate empowerment for youth and children through vocational skills. It is also to be the stage for their expression, looking to the United Nation’s strategy on youth empowerment and the Millennium Development Goals approach to youth empowerment.
Finally, I am presently in a discussion with Plan Liberia to launch a campaign that we can use to generate funds to support girls empowerment through the Because I Am a Girl campaign.
Thank you.

No comments: